The paved with flat stones pedestrian road of Chora is known to exist since the medieval times. It began from the Outer door of the Lower Castle and ended at the village of Mesaria.
Next to the Outer door there was a large ditch common to all medieval castles to prevent enemies from attacking. Eventually at the end of the 19th century the ditch was reconstructed to a pedestrian road, one side going towards Nimporio beach and the other side with stairs towards Paraporti beach.
Mayor Empirikos in 1898 decided the pavement of the road from the Outer door towards Mesaria with flat stones. Since then the road has been repaired a couple of times, always preserving the original character developed in the late 19th century.
Photos: N. Vasilopoulos